2019 Northern New England Review
Raven Prize in Creative Nonfiction
Celebrating Imagination and Unchartered Terrain In Storytelling
There’s nothing common about common ravens. They play tricks and outsmart humans. They hide in plain sight, inventing new escape routes. From Poe to Norse mythology, the raven has ignited the imagination. It is in this spirit of wily agility, magic within the mundane, and killer insight that Franklin Pierce University hosts the Northern New England Review Raven Prize in Creative Nonfiction, celebrating true stories imaginatively told. The first-place winning author will receive a $500 award for one outstanding original work of creative nonfiction. The wining story will be published in Northern New England Review.
Contest Submission Guidelines:
1. Submission deadline: Jan 31, 2019.
2. We will only consider work previously unpublished in print or online.
3. There is no fee for contest submission.
4. Simultaneous submissions are also accepted; however, we must be notified immediately if your work is accepted elsewhere.
5. Writers currently residing in the United States are eligible.
6. Submissions will be accepted via Submittable.
7. We will accept work up to 3,000 words (maximum).
8. All submissions should use a 12-pt font and standard typeface (not Comic Sans or Impact, etc.). The author's name should not appear anywhere on the entry document.
9. The work should honor the spirit of the raven in that it is a true story that is surprisingly and imaginatively told.
10. You may only enter one work per reading period.
FAQ: What is the NNER Raven Prize in Creative Nonfiction?
An annual contest for the best writing in the boundless field of creative nonfiction. A chance for your creative nonfiction to be read by NNER editors and the guest judge.
What will the winner receive?
One first place winner receives $500 and publication in NNER Issue 39.
Who can enter the contest?
Any writer – residing in a U.S. state – is eligible to enter; NNER and FPU staff and currently enrolled students are ineligible.
When is the deadline?
The deadline is January 31.
Does NNER accept electronic entries?
Yes! We only use Submittable. Please enter an original unpublished piece of creative nonfiction, no more than 3,000 words. Your name and address should not appear on the essay itself; we read contest entries blind.
Does NNER accept entries via snail mail?
NO. We only accept Submittable.
Will entries be considered for general publication as well as for the CNF prize?
No. This is a specific entry for the 2019 NNER Raven Prize in Creative Nonfiction.
Are simultaneous submissions okay?
Yes, but please let us know right away if your work is accepted elsewhere. Previously published submissions are not eligible for the contest. Please send original, unpublished work.
May I submit more than one essay/story for the contest?
No. We will accept only one entry.
Are previously published essays eligible?
No. We accept original, unpublished work for the contest.